Saturday, August 15, 2015

August 15th: Team Day

Today is the last day before embarkation - an appropriately formal word for the world into which we are - um - embarking.  Having done this once before, I know that our first morning will be taken up with firm instruction about the onboard rules and regulations.  There will also be a lifeboat drill and a "muster practice,"according to our pc, Ryan.  Muster occurs each morning promptly at 5:15 and is actually a roll call/headcount to make sure that no one has fallen (or jumped) off the ship during the night.  Muster is followed by flag-raising and I think the National Anthem - more on all of this once I've actually been through it.  The mess hall opens at 5:00 and closes for breakfast at 6:30, (not 6:31 or 6:32,) so no lingering over coffee.  The first patient will be scheduled for 7:30 which gives me an hour, assuming I eat breakfast, to do the final pre-op exams, make sure all the lab reports are where they belong and write the pre-op orders.  Should be a piece of cake.

Team day is meant to be a day of team bonding, the theory being that people who have gotten to know each other in an enjoyable social setting will be more likely to get along and work well together.  I do think the concept's sound, particularly on these missions where there are so many nationalities involved, and often many languages.  Once the mission starts, the OR's and the wards may be at some distance from each other, and there may not be much chance to interact, so it's helpful to have developed some relationships ahead of time.  The surgeons continue to be a very relaxed approachable group which sets the tone for the rest of the team.

Our team day was held at a beach resort owned by a local Operation Smile supporter.  I've posted some photos on Picasa so you can see how lovely it was.  We spent the day lying on the cabanas and visiting.  The beer-drinkers drank beer and many people swam in the shallow, tepid water. I never quite managed to make it off the cabana's mattress - too lazy and comfortable.  The local vendors of beach wraps, necklaces, bracelets and carved turtles had a field day, but nobody bought the freshly harvested sea urchins -"I'll cut it up right here for you."

After a buffet lunch and more lounging, we returned to the hotel.  Some people are going to a crafts market and out to dinner, but I'm going to stay here and enjoy my last night in this room.  Starting tomorrow, the team will be bunking together.

I don't know what my access will be to WI-FI on the ship.  There is a WI-FI Cafe, but we will only be able to use it at certain times.  I'll do my best to keep posts and photos coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment